Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Wiki's

I found the Information Today article 'What to do with Wikipedia' by William Badke, Trinity Western University, to be extremely interesting. I am studying BAppSc(LIM) at the moment so I well know that academics shun Wikipedia and do not consider it to be a reliable source of information. I was surprised by the results of the Stern survey that indicated the German version of Wikipedia was more accurate than its encyclopedia counterpart. Food for thought...

In our library we currently have a Procedures Wiki with PBwiki and it works really well. All staff can access it from every computer and its easy to navigate - as opposed to the old system; a massive word document.

Looking at the other wiki's available I was impressed with the St. Joseph County Public Library's Subject Guides. Easy to understand and yet quite comprehensive. The Book Lovers wiki has also inspired me to read Flushed: How the plumber saved civilization! Not a book I would ever have considered before reading Dan Bauer's fascinating review.

No comments:

Post a Comment